Friday, March 16, 2007

Breakfast in the West End


Not a stone's throw from where Alastair and I lived on Highburgh Road, there's a new cafe/restaurant/deli called Kember & Jones. I'd read about it as a brunch spot in a weekend newspaper and put it on the list of things to check out. The review said to expect queues, which is a promising sign for breakfast... I mean, the fact that a group of Scots would actually get out of bed for breakfast is breaking news.

Alastair and I walked over from our B&B next to the River Kelvin. It was cool, crisp and clear and there was much to note on our walk, but I'll share that later. By the time we reached K&J, I was starving... and guess what?! Not a queue in sight. We grabbed a table near to the window, sitting next to a German couple. The first sign that we might be a little early, don't you think?

The menu had all the expected items from muesli to traditional breakfast, and --- waffles with fresh strawberries and blueberries. Do you need to ask what we had??? They were wonderful, albeit small and more like dessert than breakfast, but enjoyable nonetheless. The coffee was good as was the fresh squeezed orange juice. Geez, one might think I was back home.

About twenty minutes after we arrived, we witnessed the queue of people, it was around 11am and within ten minutes there were more than twenty people waiting for about 10 tables. The paper called that one, alright.

We slipped out, noting the deli foods we'd be back for the next day to picnic with in our travels.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, fresh berries, yum. Recently bought blackberries and blueberries at Costco, delicious.

Mary Anne Hoffmann said...

Very special place! Great storefront (very paintable...:-} What was in the deli lunch???
Sounds like you had a VERY good time! Miss you.

Edye said...

Deli lunch consisted of tasty bread, cheese and olives, which we ate on the ferry headed to Dunoon. I also bought a coffee and pastry to take away.

Erin Doyle said...

Yummy...but small portions would not work for me!!