![]() |
| Whisky-kissed Peach Preserves: first effort on the left, second effort on the right. |
In my recent canning adventures, I was left scratching my head wondering why all the peaches in my Whisky-kissed Peach Preserves were swimming to the top of all of the jars, desperately trying to crawl out and screaming for their mothers. It tasted fine, actually it was amazingly tasty but it was all float-y. So I went screaming for my mother, seeking the answers to life's deepest questions only to discover that she was scratching her head and seeking the same. In search of further meaning, I sought my husband's advice and the sage wisdom of the new Joy of Cooking.
No, I did not turn to wikipedia or google. Where's the fun in that?!?
Indeed, the Great Haggis had the answer but it wasn't the one I was prepared for... let the jam cool before canning it. Hmm, isn't that unsanitary? Don't I want to burn all my fingertips in order to claim my blue ribbon status in canning, the medal that states I have killed no one? But it turns out that cooling it slightly, still sets the jam, seals the jars AND it's not as scary. So, chock one up for the Haggis. He wins a jar of preserves. Should I give him the jar on the left or the right?

2 comments:
Everything improves with practice. They are quite pretty!
Yum! and pretty, too! Give him the one on the left. Looks like it has more whiskey in it! :-)))
Post a Comment