Friday, August 13, 2010

It begins...

Yesterday saw the kick off of dementiaCOMPASS, a project I've been working on for about 18 months.  For a while, I thought I was never going to get there, but then I realized that its time would come and 'not now' didn't mean 'not ever'.  This has been a lesson I've been exploring for about 15 years and has been gratefully shoved down my throat since I moved to Britain.  You see, things happen slowly here.  There is little of the instant gratification I would have expected from my life back home.  In fact, I don't even expect gratification, i.e., happiness, all of the time, it surely is nice but isn't necessary from every aspect of my life.  This seems to make life a little more enjoyable, strangely even gratifying.

So, when people say to me that I should have done something else to get a better, faster, more improved result, I hear their words differently.  I don't hear 'you did that wrong' as much anymore, instead I hear that given what they know about the situation, they would have played things differently.  Fair enough.  Meanwhile, I'll consider yesterday a success knowing all that I know about the day and all that came from it.

Let's hope I can keep that perspective as dementiaCOMPASS develops and grows.  The next few months will be interesting and I'll keep you posted.  There will actually be a website link soon, but not now and that certainly doesn't mean not ever.

2 comments:

Erin Doyle said...

BRAVO!!!! You are awesome!!!

Mom said...

Three cheers for Edye!! Great plan and nobody better to implement it. Persistence will pay off!