There is another personality that ascribes to the Wellington boot, i.e., the country walker. Usually in our village that means the dog walker, but occasionally we see others sporting them. Alastair and I do own pairs of wanna-be wellies, but they are stashed in the attic since I found them a bit complicated when worn around mud and very hard on the knees. I just couldn't get the hang of them around the riverbottom mud that assumes the surface position after a good rain here. It's like cake icing.
A couple of weekends ago, Alastair and I joined friends for a walk in Essex. It had rained the day before but was clear Saturday. After an interesting lunch at The Cricketeers in Clavering, which some of you would appreciate knowing is where the Naked Chef got his start, we wandered about the fields, enjoying the clear skies and a small hill. Up a hill means down a h
ill, right ... which is where we came upon a little ravine with the announcement, "It's a little slippery down here." That was a classic British euphemism for a 100 yard bobsledding track. With much holding of breath, children and our trousers, we finally got skidded down it. As you can tell from the photo, I finally gave in and walked right through it. Further afield, we passed a dogwalker, well dressed with a clean dog. He took one look at me and shook his head... he was wearing wellies.I can't say how I would have managed in wellies on that walk. I was grateful for the waterproof quality of my Blundstones ... but perhaps a little rubber would have made the clean-up easier.
3 comments:
surely in the wellies, it just would have been a different part of the jeans that got muddy?
As for the boots-- it just looks like you've joined the horsey set.
Aren't you the funny one! But, alas, you're probably right.
Loved the story. I could picture the whole thing in my mind.
Interesting though...I have been coveting some black with white polka-dot imitation Wellies at Target. They are not popular here or in San Diego, so it's all new to me. Thought they might be fun during our two rainy seasons or when I'm gardening this summer.
The Wellies at Target are $20 and I'm waiting for them to go on sale. Guess I look at them as extra.
Post a Comment