Wednesday, April 02, 2008

It's been a while since I last wrote... it's not for lack of trying there are a heaps of 'drafts' within CasaHaggis that just weren't up to snuff.

I wonder if it's the weather that makes blogging possible for me. The lack of longing grey puts a much clearer spin on the muddle in my head... plus things have been busy.

The weather broke Easter weekend, an official four-day holiday with Friday and Monday "bank holidays" for all, I've learned, except those in care professions... like me. So I worked on Friday which was fine for me because I have things to do and a holiday will only get in the way. The rest of the weekend turned out to be quite delightful with our first snow of ... winter. Yes whilst everyone else is thawing out we got a good weekend of white stuff, enough for children to scatter large snowpeople throughout the city.


Meanwhile, Alastair and I indulged in a good American-style brunch hosted by a Brit with a Malaysian story. The menu was influenced by recent travels to Seattle and included good huevos rancheros, homemade granola, British hot cross buns, lots of tea and coffee, followed by several newspapers to read. And, yes, people! British people actually rose out of their beds for the occasion and brought their smiles, well, mostly. So, a great weekend, and the social connections, led on to some baking and an impromptu dinner with lost friends.

In between snow storms, Alastair and I snuck out to peak at our rhubarb plants which have been glistening with potential for some weeks now, like rubies against the darkness of their cloches. We managed to harvest sixteen ounces of rosy-ness, and thanks to Epicurious, we turned it into the best compote we've ever tasted. This paired with a polenta cake traveled with us to dinner where it was welcomed with open arms and mouths. I think Alastair's even planning more rhubarb plants for our future so we don't loose any sunny, ruby goodness.

It's good to be back. Hope you missed me!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

you realise, of course, that that makes me want to see the drafts. Perfection is not required, you know. It's not like your readers don't know the truth anyway.

recipes look splendid.

I am having a Piskie bloggers day on 17 May, with an expat's overnight & brunch before (Fri the 16th). I realise you stretch the category a bit, but if you're interested...

Anonymous said...

are you ever coming back??

Edye said...

Yes, yes, eminent return. I was working on a piece today, but it won't be finished until the weekend when I have a bit more time... soon, very soon.

Mary Anne Hoffmann said...

hey, what would happen if you put those 2 fot long tiles over the plants in the winter. insulation plus long stalks??