A couple of weeks ago, Alastair and I were finishing off a long weekend of gardening and discussing how best to keep track of all we're doing, when Alastair suggested that I blog a journal of sorts, keeping track of weather and progress. It was a great idea, one which I've been playing at ever since. It's still in its infancy, not even walking yet, but there's a personality in there somewhere... If you're interested in what's happening in our garden, then perhaps you could wander over to Physalis: The Tomatillo and the Cape Gooseberry
Now a funny thing about this website, there's a creative spelling in its name, not the name you see here but the one you'll see in its URL. Apparently Cedric thought of it before me, way backin 2004, so it's his. Instead, I got creative with the spelling and added an 'l'. We'll see how much trouble this gets me in. Regardless, you and I know it with the proper name and there's a link to it on the right hand side of the blog under Tasty Morsels, so you don't have to give this little paragraph another thought.
So, why Physalis? It's the latin name for two of my favorite fruit: the tomatillo and the cape gooseberry. The tomatillo I grew to love in the Americas, the cape gooseberry I discovered on this little island. They're related and lovely to grow, which I hope to show you over the next couple of years. We should have tomatillos this year, cape gooseberries next. There's a third member of the phyalis family that might show its face on the blog, but one can't eat it. It's a flower called a Chinese Lantern, and is a delight, too.